It’s no secret that white teeth make for a more pleasing smile and add to a person’s appeal. Time and time again, research has shown that those with a bright and healthy smile are deemed more attractive. However, new studies are finding out even more about just how impactful your smile can be. You are more likely to land a job, be seen as professional and self-confident, and even be paid a higher salary when you have a whiter smile. Yet, more than one-third of all American adults are displeased with the appearance of their teeth.
How to Avoid Discoloration
Teeth may become discolored for a variety of reasons, leading to self-consciousness about one’s appearance. Often times, the cause can be linked directly to our own bad habits. For most who are unhappy with their smile, there are some things that should be avoided to help prevent further discoloration:
- Certain Beverages – Many beverages such as soda, tea, coffee, and wine are linked to teeth staining. To enjoys these drinks and avoid discoloration, use a straw when possible.
- Smoking – Smoking is a leading contributor to teeth discoloration. While quitting all together is the best choice, chewing sugarless gum after a cigarette may help as well.
- Sweets and Sauces – Many deeply colored sauces as well as several types of sweets can lead to teeth staining. When you do enjoy these types of foods, rinse your mouth with water and chew a piece of sugarless gum.
How to Whiten Effectively
While it’s important to take measures to avoid future staining, what can you do to whiten an already dull smile? Of course, whitening toothpastes and strips can help improve the appearance of teeth over time. However, to achieve more effective and noticeable results, a dentist-provided whitening option is often the best bet. Here are some of the benefits:
- Custom Fit – To ensure that your teeth are completely whitened, our office will provide custom fit bleach splints to be worn with a special bleaching agent for just a couple of hours each day until your desired shade is achieved. Unlike strips which may slide and only cover the front teeth, these splints allow for complete, all over whitening.
- In-Office Options – To boost whitening power, in-office options are often available to offer a higher concentration of solution. When combined with at-home splints, patients can expect quicker, more noticeable results.
- Reliable Results– Not only will dental bleaching safely and effectively brighten your smile, it can also correct a variety of tooth discolorations, resulting in even color and a more attractive appearance.
- Convenient – By using custom splints, you are able to whiten your teeth to your desired level in the comfort of your own home and on a timeline that is convenient for you. After your initial fitting, there is no need to take time out of your day to come into our office each time you require whitening unless you choose to add in-office services for stronger results.
Presenting a healthy and confident smile to the world can bring you immeasurable benefits. If you have been living with discolored teeth and are ready to brighten your smile, contact our office. Dr. Ber can help you determine the most effective way to whiten your teeth and bring you the results you want. You can request an appointment by clicking here or calling our office directly at (985) 446-5031.